Our qualifications are best measured by tangible results. Recent Wexler | Walker successes include:
- A young satellite remote-sensing data company sought Wexler | Walker’s assistance to lobby for funding to support a next generation imaging initiative. We secured the funds and our client succeeded in winning a $500 million National Imaging and Mapping Agency (NIMA) contract.
- On behalf of a major international aerospace and defense company, Wexler | Walker worked, as part of a team, to eliminate funding for the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter’s alternative engine . We played a key role in developing the strategy and lobbied dozens of members of the House and Senate, overcoming opposition from Congressional leaders to win convincingly as Congress voted in a bipartisan fashion to end the funding for the engine.
- Health care:
- A small biotech company in the Northwest was developing a unique product that had blockbuster potential – a biologic that could be self-administered – but Medicare excluded coverage of self-administered drugs. The company knew that to make its product commercially viable, Federal policy had to change. Wexler | Walker enlisted Congressional advocates on House Ways & Means and Senate Finance and helped organize multiple stakeholder organizations to support the policy shift. Congress eventually established a $500 million demonstration program to provide coverage of self-administered medications that could substitute for physician-administered medications to ensure coverage of self-administered injectables until the Medicare drug benefit was implemented.
- Coalition building:
- The continued evolution of competitive electricity markets is constantly threatened by those who prefer a return to the days of monopoly regulation. On behalf of a group of electricity stakeholders, Wexler | Walker built and continues to manage a coalition representing over 750 electricity stakeholders, including end-use customers, suppliers, generators, transmission owners, trade associations, and economic development corporations who collectively work to promote the consumer benefits of competitive electricity markets. Today, the coalition is recognized by the media and federal and state regulators and policy makers as the voice of the pro-competition electricity consumer and a credible “go-to” source on every issue related to electricity competition.
- Homeland Security:
- The manufacturer of highly-regarded, but generally under-the-radar, technology for aviation checked baggage screening sought Wexler | Walker’s help building corporate visibility in order to grow Federal appropriations, speed agency purchases, and enhance market share. Through a strategic campaign that combined Congressional and agency lobbying with targeted media outreach, we successfully increased appropriations funding and secured $20 million in new orders in just 9 months.
- Wexler & Walker was part of the government relations team that advised Chinese National Off-shore Oil Company (CNOOC) on its merger with Nexen (Canadian Oil Company) in 2012. Wexler | Walker was the primary advisor for all issues involving Congress – providing information and education about the acquisition and helping CNOOC understand and position around Congressional concerns. Ultimately, U.S. regulators, including the Committee on Foreign Investment in the U.S. (CFIUS), approved the merger.